Friday, February 22, 2013

Google Drive Viewer Updated!

Since I am a soldier and student I use Google Drive religiously. I use it to take all of my notes for classes and housing resources that I want to access online at any given time. I recently opened a .docx file in +Google Drive and this popped up:
It seems to me that the team has updated the Google Drive viewer. Basically any view-able Non-Google Drive formatted files will be viewed in the viewer. (images, pdfs, word docs, PowerPoints, and spreadsheets) show up in this light-box experience. Similar to Google+. It also works for files that use a Drive app. So you can quickly
preview Google Drive Docs by selecting a Google Drive file and pressing the "p" key. You can select more than one file at a time which is great. If you use Google Drive enabled apps like I do you can manage defaults that a file opens up with by using the gear as shown in the photo. This experience feels like it took a thing from Google+ and has a similar look and UX which is not a bad thing at all. I am glad it was updated and I look forward to using this feature as I continue to utilize Google Drive. I wonder what will come next. I see a long road for Google Drive. Drive could be the next GMail in a sort of way. Applications like Drive have definitely created a shift to moving things solely in the cloud.

Here's what the Full new Google Drive viewer looks:


What Do You Think?

No comments:

Post a Comment